Government College Kodanchery was established on 22nd July 1980 vide the Government Order No. 44819/B3/79/80 dated 2-7-1980 and was formally inaugurated on 24th August by the then Education Minister, Sri. Baby John. The benevolence and academic zest of the College Sponsoring Committee, comprising of leaders of all religious, cultural and political parties of the area, resulted in mobilizing adequate resources to acquire 17.10 acres of land for the beginning of the college.
The University of Calicut accorded affiliation to begin two Pre-Degree courses (Humanities and Commerce) on 28-08-1980. Pre-degree science group was started during 1981. In 1991, the college was upgraded and the first Under Graduate programme, B. Sc. Zoology was initiated. The functioning of the college was shifted to the newly constructed permanent building in 1994. The B.A. Degree Programme in Economics commenced in 1993-94, B.Com with Computer Application in 1998-99, B. Sc. Physics with Computer Science and PG course in Economics in 1999-2000. The college being included under Section 2(f) and 12 (B) of the UGC Act 1956 on 15.9.2004 was a landmark in its history.The college was voluntarily subjected to NAAC Accreditation in February 2009 and secured B grade with a CGPA of 2.17. The much awaited Post Graduate Programme in Commerce (M.Com) was sanctioned after a long period of 12 years in 2012. The college has re-accredited in 2014 with B Grade by NAAC. In 2016, Department of Economics has upgraded into a research Centre under the University of Calicut. In 2019, Department of Commerce has also upgraded into a research centre of the University of Calicut.
Currently, the college has four UG, two PG and two Doctoral programmes supported by 32 faculty members and 19 members of the non-teaching staff. Above all, GCK is fortunate to be blessed with a group of committed teaching and non-teaching staff who are always willing to provide the best possible service to their students and the community at large. Even though more than 75 per cent of the students hail from poor socio-economic background, their performances in university examinations is commendable. The local population takes a keen interest in the development of the institution. Consequent to the establishment of the college, the locale witnessed unprecedented developments in terms of exposure to higher education, commutation and telecommunication facilities and accelerated social developments to crown it.
Located in an ecologically fragile area, the college has consistently abided by the ecological norms with minimal intervention in to nature. The college having derived its sustenance from the spirit and diligence of the fore-fathers has eternally strived to foreground a close communion with nature, with the girdle of education to fortify it. Most of our students are first generation graduates. The logo of the college has effectively captured this fine blending of labour and learning. Camouflaged in the lush green ambience of a bio diversity park of approximately 3.0 acres, which the college proudly nurtures, the institution aspires at moulding intellectually and emotionally secure, socially committed citizens contributing resourcefully to the ideals of a democratic nation.
GOVERNMENT COLLEGE KODANCHERY: AT A GLANCE
Established on 22.07.80 (vide the GO No. 44819/B3/79/80 dt. 2-7-1980)
Inaugurated on 24.08.1980
Received the affiliation of the University of Calicut on 28-08-1980
Shifted to new building on 08.08.1982
Shifted to the present building in 1994
Recognized under Sec. 2(f) & 12 (B) of the UGC Act 1956 on 15.9.2004
Underwent UGC NAAC Accreditation in 2009
Reaccreditation of NAAC in 2014
Inauguration of Science Block on 24-11-2014
Construction of ladies hostel commenced in 2015
Inauguration of the Research Department of Economics